1. Attend a squadron meeting, observe, and ask lots of questions!
2. Ask the squadron commander or any senior member for an F.B.I. fingerprint card and a membership application (you can also download the application, see hyperlink in item 4 below or Word version at right.)
3. Obtain your fingerprints on the fingerprint card. See Major Gould or Senior Member Riddock to see if the fingerprint kit is available, and we can print you at no cost. You can also take the card to the Pueblo County Sheriff's Office, 909 Court Street in Pueblo (between 8th and 10th Streets). Do not fill in any portion of the fingerprint card. The cost for fingerprints is $10.00. You will be required to show a drivers' license or government-issued photo I.D. Fingerprinting is done only on Mondays through Thursdays between 10:00 a.m. and noon. You can also go to the Pueblo Police Department on main street any day between 8:00 a.m and 4:30 p.m. The cost is $20.00. Also, you may be able to get your fingerprints taken during a squadron meeting. Check with the unit personnel officer for more details.
4. Fill out CAPF 12 (unless you are a chaplain, legislative member, aerospace education or cadet sponsor member). Make two extra copies. The charter number for our squadron is "RMR-CO-179." Be sure to read the membership oath prior to signing CAPF12, and sign all three copies in the appropriate areas. A witness is required for the signature of the oath on the reverse side of CAPF12.
5. Have the squadron commander sign your CAPF12. He will retain two copies of your application to forward to higher headquarters, and give you back the original copy with the fingerprint card.
6. Mail your original application, the fingerprint card, and a check for $72 payable to National Headquarters Civil Air Patrol, to NHQ CAP, ATTN: Membership Services, 105 S. Hansell St., Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6332. The $72 fee includes your national and Colorado Wing dues for your first year of membership, as well as a fee for your initial membership materials.
7. Give the squadron commander or finance officer a check for $20 for your first-year squadron dues.
8. Once CAPNHQ approves your application, your fingerprint card will be forwarded to the F.B.I. for a background check, and you will be issued a temporary membership card with a CAPID, which will permit you to particpate in squadron activites on a limited basis. You will not be permitted to work with cadet members while in temporary status, but you may begin working on your Level I training (including the cadet protection online test and the operational security training).
9. Once your background check is completed you will receive your permanent identification card.
10. Within four to six weeks of receiving your temporary ID card, you should receive your new member kit. Click here for an example of what your kit may contain.
11. You will need to equip yourself with the basic member uniform. The Air Force style uniform may only be worn by senior members who meet established weight/height and grooming standards. Talk to any senior member for details. The optional polo shirt uniform is a very good start, as all adult member may wear it and it is the quickest and easiest way to get "into Uniform." See the uniform page for more details.